Monday, December 14, 2009

A New Spin on Mary

Each Christmas, I ask the Lord to give me a "fresh" perspective on the Christmas story because it can become such a repetitive, rattle-it-off-without-thinking part of the whole Christmas experience. Each year, though, God answers this prayer in a new way, and this year is no different. I have been spending much time of late thinking about the attitude and character of Mary because I am now in her shoes for the very first time -- young and pregnant. (Yes, in case you didn't know, Zach and I found out last week that we are expecting our first little baby in August. We are absolutely THRILLED. :)

I have read Luke 1:26-38 several times over the past few days and have marveled at Mary's grace and composure in an admittedly harrowing situation. Mary's status as a "virgin" is continually repeated throughout this passage ("a virgin pledged to be married" [vs. 27]; "I am a virgin" [vs. 34]; and "the virgin's name..." [vs. 27]), and yet still she is going to give birth to a son who will be called the Son of God (without any help from her fiance, Joseph). Can we talk about some shocking news? I still remember vividly the moment that Zach and I walked into our bathroom to find out the results of the pregnancy test I had just taken. Hearts pounding, hand sweating, minds racing, we only had to glance down briefly to notice the prominent plus sign glaring back at us. That moment was unlike anything I had ever experienced -- though not necessarily in a bad way -- because you realize that the entire course of your life will be changed forever. Forever! Even in our moment of shock, though, there were absolute tears of joy; for though we are young, we both feel absolute peace about welcoming a new member or family; and though the news will change our employment situation (and maybe location), we know God has opened the womb for such a time as this.

That in itself is the prominent difference between Mary and I. While Zach and I were thrilled by our news, I can't imagine Mary was initially ecstatic about the angel's announcement. She was probably thinking about how she would tell or explain the news to Joseph, whether he would still love her, what her family might think, how she would be looked at in society, why it was happening to her, how she was going to raise and care for the Son of God, and so on, and so on, and so on. I can only imagine that her mind was racing with fears and questions and quandaries.

And yet despite the circumstances, we must look at the nature of her speech in the passage. She first asks, "How will this be, since I am a virgin?" and finishes the story by peacefully stating, "I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said." Talk about the peace of God which transcends all understanding! Her response here is nothing short of incredible as she gracefully gives the situation back to the Lord without angry questioning or a confused demand to "know all." She is content in His will, even when she does not necessarily understand His purposes behind it.

Shortly after this passage, we read "Mary's Song" which further exemplifies her absolute peace and trust in a potentially treacherous situation. May her song also be ours during this Christmas season:

"My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me -- holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation... He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers." -Luke 1:46-55

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    My name is Annie and I know your sister a little bit from Moody. This post touches my heart also because I too am expecting (in April) and Mary's part of the Christmas story has really come alive for me as well. The passage you focused on in your post I used to create a first person narrative and I played Mary for a short monologue at a ladies tea at our church. Thanks for posting, it's exciting to see another young woman going through what I am and loving it. God bless you and your growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey...I am SOOOOO thrilled for you both! I have big tears rolling down my face! You are going to be THE BEST mom! I can't believe that I met you while you were in 4th grade, still playing with your American Girl Dolls....NOW you're gonna have a real one of your own!
    Of course I'm INCREDIBLY thrilled for your parents (I know she's been saving stuff JUST for this moment!)
    OCNGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete