Saturday, July 17, 2010

Our Dearest Charis

Dear Charis,

Two days ago, you made a rather dramatic entrance into the world, and I must say that it was probably both the best and worst day of Daddy and I’s lives. Now that you are here, though, we love you so much and could not be more thankful that you (ultimately) arrived safely!

I woke up on July 14 around 7:15 am, and I noticed that you weren’t being much of a wiggleworm during breakfast (when you are usually pretty active). The thought lingered in the back of my mind, and as more time passed, I started to get a little apprehensive about your lack of movement. I know that most babies your age move at least 10 different times over a period of two hours, and once two hours had passed, I was sure I hadn’t felt you wiggle at all. I told Daddy about it, and we decided to call Dr. Sewell at around 9:15 am. We were cleaning our Callahan Drive house because we had to move out the next day.

After I called the doctor, they called me back around 9:50 and told me to go drink a tall glass of ice water quickly; usually that prompts babies to wiggle around because of the cold shock to their system. She said that if I still didn’t feel you move I should call back and get in for an exam immediately. Daddy and I drove through Wendy’s, I downed a large glass of water, and unfortunately you still did not respond. It was at this point that we began to fear the worst for you, especially when the nurse told us to get to the hospital immediately.

We went to the Mercy Hospital Birthing Ward, and a nice English nurse brought us back to listen to your heart beat. She found your heart beat immediately, and Daddy and I literally cried with relief; we really weren’t sure if your heart beat was still there at all. Unfortunately, though, as she monitored your progress, she noticed that your heart rate was too consistent; most babies your age have big fluctuations in their heart rates because they are wiggling around, but yours stayed right between 151-154 BPM over a period of about 20 minutes. Not only that, but she also tried to stimulate you with a loud buzz right on my tummy. Still, no response from you. The nurse voiced her concern and called Dr. Sewell to come have a look at what should be done.

The last test they did on you was an ultrasound that lasted about 25 minutes. We couldn’t read the doctor’s facial expression very well, but once he began discussing the results of the ultra sound with Dr. Sewell, we knew something was very wrong. He mentioned that you hadn’t moved the entire time and that he possibly saw part of the placenta floating separately from the rest of it. Dr. Sewell informed us that you were at a very high risk and needed to be delivered immediately. She even suggested that we be life-flighted to Eugene because of the serious circumstances (and because you were only 35 weeks, 6 days old), but she did not think we even had time to do that. You were in too much danger, and you needed to be delivered immediately.

Within ten or fifteen minutes of that conversation, Daddy and I were terrified and were signing all sorts of documents to prepare me for an emergency C-Section. As they put me in a wheelchair to bring me to the O.R., I had probably the most intense emotional breakdown of my life -- I collapsed in Daddy’s arms in tearful sobs because I was so scared for your life and felt so powerless to help you. The nurse held us both, as well, and tried to encourage us as much as possible as she wheeled me to the OR. Unfortunately, our emotions only became more dramatic because they wouldn’t let Daddy come in the room for a few minutes as they gave me my anesthesia and prepared me for the surgery. He also had a really difficult time as he waited out in the hall, but in God’s providence a friend who happened to be walking by stopped and prayed for him. I was also blessed because Dr. Sewell held me and prayed for me on the operating table as I was receiving my spinal tap. Both of these experiences helped calm us down a bit, although we were both still scared to death and had no idea what to expect.

They finally let Daddy back in the OR, and within minutes they were ready to bring you into the world. You came out without too much trouble at 12:44 p.m., and Daddy and I’s tears flowed again when you immediately cried after they delivered you. Dr. Sewell was VERY pleasantly surprised at how good you looked and sounded right after delivery; Daddy even got to hold you for a few minutes before they whisked you back to the nursery. The doctors sewed me back up and took me over to one hour of solitary recovery while Daddy got to spend some time looking at you and holding your hand in the nursery. You immediately had a few small issues - low blood sugar, low white blood cell count, etc. -- but miraculously you were SO much healthier than originally thought. They decided immediately that you wouldn’t have to be life-flighted to Eugene and that they expected you to make a full recovery. We could not have been more thrilled!

Shortly after you were born, Daddy called your grandparents to let them know that you were doing well and had made it through the whole ordeal with such unexpected strength. One of the most emotional moments was when he called Mimi Tunney and finally verbalized that both you and I were doing well; both Daddy and Mimi began crying all over again in total gratefulness for the fact that you were okay. You are such a fighter, and God's grace (charis) was sufficient for us.

The last two days have been spent traveling down to visit you in the nursery with ever-increasing frequency as you have become stronger and more stable. It looks like you will even get to spend the night with us in our room tonight, and we can’t wait! You have also had many visitors who love you so much and are dying to see you, as well as tons of relatives who are in love with you already. No one loves you more than your mommy and daddy, though; you will always be our incredible little miracle baby girl.

We love you so much!!

Daddy and Mommy

4 comments:

  1. Sweet Charis, I add my joy that you are here safe and sound and healthy. I can't wait to hold you, to watch you grow, and to be there for you . . . however that may look in the years to come.
    Welcome, sweet angel!

    Love, Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian knows well that wait to get into the OR and get the show on the road. Both our C-sections had that long excruciating wait. I cannot imagine that wait when the circumstances are dire! Glad your girl is here safe and sound! PTL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey, I haven't been introduced to you, but I attend Wellspring, and I saw you or someone else link on Facebook to your blog to describe the exciting (yet scary!) birth of your first daughter. It brought tears to my eyes, to read how you so carefully discerned that something wasn't "right" that day, and you were smart enough to have things checked by your doctor.

    When our second daughter was born, she had a rough birth (but not C-section), and I remember hearing my OB doc swear and things got really quiet in the room for a while. I didn't even get to hold or touch Brittany for over an hour. Scared my husband and my mom to death! But she is fine now, even though I was induced 3 weeks early.

    Shortly after she was born, my previous OB doc was sued for not checking things out when a local mom here in town was two weeks out from her due date with her third child, and couldn't feel the baby move. The doc dismissed it as "nothing", and didn't even really have her come into the office or anything. The baby was born with cerebral palsy a couple of days later, sadly. You were very smart to do what you did! God is in control!

    It brought back lots of memories to read this. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

    I've enjoyed hearing you play keyboard during worship times at Wellspring. May God bless your family as you learn each day more and more how to love Charis!

    Julieanne
    http://www.JoyInOurJourney.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your story through this sweet letter. Her name is a perfect fit. Love to you all of you.

    ReplyDelete